Is this you? What might it look like?
1. A person known for being grumpy, authoritarian, or difficult. With previous comments, or even complaints. Often getting away with it as ‘ you know what they’re like’.
2. Being friendly, yet then snapping, putting someone down, or losing their temper.
Is this how we want to show up?
There will be various reasons why these behaviours appear.
They are learned, habitual, or even believed to bring respect.
What happens to those around you?
1. They feel unsettled, unsafe, they hold back sharing, talking, or raising any concerns. They monitor their words or actions around you.
2. People follow your moods, limit their interactions with you, or only do so in certain settings, or for short bursts of time.
3. In extreme cases people won’t want to work with you, & will have left jobs because of those behaviours.
Can it change?
These are behaviours, they are not you.
3 initial steps that can help, is to consider:
1. Where did you learn these behaviours, who did you see using them, & why?
2. How do these behaviours serve you? Protect you? Shield you? Keep you safe?
3. If you were to choose different behaviours, what would you do? What do you need to feel, to be willing to make that change? What support might you need to get there?
What is our legacy?
About Simona Hamblet
Simona Hamblet is a Leadership & Lifestyle coach, trainer & speaker for Lawyers. Helping solicitors, partners, & firm owners, take control of their time, action their business development plans, improve self-management, & strengthen their leadership skills. For profitable firms, personal success, & happier lives. In addition to leadership and behavioural expertise. Simona has over 20 years experience as a solicitor practising employment law; setting up new law departments & businesses; as well as being a Partner, in a multi-office law firm, focusing on business & staff development.